Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Juice Head


I am embarrassed to admit it butttt one of my favorite possessions is my juicer that I received for Christmas from my wonderful boyfriend :).  I absolutely love it and would juice every meal every day if I could.  That being said, I would probably get pretty hungry if I was on an entirely liquid diet, so I stick to juicing a few times a week for breakfast or for a snack.  Juicing is a great way to sneak in a bunch of added fruits and veggies into my diet that I might not otherwise eat (umm hello, chocolate > carrots).  It's also a great way to get around all of the sugar/preservatives/junk found in most juices at the grocery store.

The Breville juicer I have (pic above) is especially great because I can stick whole fruits into it.  This really cuts down on prep time and makes life 100x easier...ok, not really.  Recently I have been making this Green Energy Juice about once a week.  The kale in it was a little scary at first because kale can sometimes have a weird texture/taste, but trust me, you can't taste it at all.  If I were you, I would go out right now and buy all of these ingredients and make this delisioso juice.

Green Energy Juice


2-3 large leaves of kale, stem removed
20-30 green grapes
1 Granny Smith apple
1 whole cucumber, peeled
1 cup of water

Juice everything but the water (duh).  Stir in water and refrigerate until ready to serve.  I have been drinking half the day of and keeping the other half for the next day.


IF YOU DONT HAVE A JUICER: don't worry!! just put everything in your blender and give it a good whirl (make sure you peel and core your apple in this case) and then strain in through cheese cloth or something of that sort.

Still don't have you sold?  Check out the great benefits of the juice:

Kale: Helllo antioxidants! Kale has loads of antioxidants which are shown to fight the formation of cancer cells and have other great health benefits.  Kale also has a ton of Vitamin A, C and K.

Green Grapes: Green grapes are also high in antioxidants, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K.

Granny Smith Apple: These green babies are also high in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.  They help protect against cancer, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, increase weight loss and decrease the risk for diabetes.

Cucumber: Cucumbers have a decent amount of antioxidants, phytonutrients, and Vitamin K.  These lil' have anti-inflammatory properties which reduces the risk of a ton of yucky things (read: cancer, heart disease, etc)


No comments:

Post a Comment